Excursion Glass House Mountains

Tuesday morning I took the train to Glass House Mountains. The mountains were named after the Glass House furnaces, which were in place in the 18th century. In the visitor centre the two lovely woman gave me a lot of local advise and even offered me to keep my heavy backpack during the day. So, in the end I was a bit late and started my hiking just at about 11:15 o’clock. My first destination was Mount Ngungun, which was an easy track leading up the summit. From there you’ve a nice circumferential view, but also 1000’s of flying objects around your head. So, not a very nice place to stay. As that was a bit too easy for the day, I opted to walk out to Mount Beerwah. I hoped to get a lift, but unfortunately only for 200m this turned out :). Contrary to Mount Ngungun, which is a decent tourist attraction, I was alone at Mount Beerwah, that’s probably attributed to the fact, that the start section is a decent rock climb. Even with the artifical steps they made, I would rate it as 3- (UIAA). And the first about 150 m altitude, is just a continuously scrambling over rocks in the grade 2. That would have been even more fun, if it wouldn’t start to rain in the middle of the section, as some rocks (especially the white ones) can get very slippery then. But the other patches are still fine. After the first start, an easier way through the bush until the rock wall follows, then you’re crossing to the North-West ridge, and all the way up to the summit along this. I was completely wet from sweat and rain, when I reached it, after about 70 min, much faster than I expected for about 400 m. I enjoyed the view, before I climbed back all the way, which took in essence longer as the ascent. But after 90 min I was safely back at the start. But this wasn’t the finish, I still had to get back to the town. The first 5 km took me about an hour, and only two cars came by, but none wanted to give me a lift. After I reached the larger road, one car stopped and James gave me lift for the remaining 5 km back to the town glass house mountains. He even offered me some rolls for dinner, after I recovered my backpack from a hiding near the visitor centre. After dinner I looked for a place to stay in my tent, but that wasn’t so easy. After I decided for one, the linkage of the tent broke, when I wanted to pith it up. So it took me about 30 min to figure out a quick fix, when I was surrounded by mosquitoes. Yes, I know that there are always mosquitoes around creeks, but once you’re in the tent, they can’t bother you anymore. Anyway, much later than expected I could lay down, and relax after this pretty long walk.

My train arrives…
…but it turns out, that it’s pretty worn out.
Riding through the hinterland of the sunshine coast.
All the car parks of the train stations were full, which was pretty surprising to me, as I didn’t expect, that so much people are commuting with train
Circumferential view to the glass house mountains
The sunshine coast was always cloud free during the day, whereas the hinterland was prone to showers
Clouds getting up Mount Beerwah
Completely sweated but happy to be on the summit and enjoy the view…
…even as it was a bit cloudy in the beginning, but even cleared afterwards.
The North face is unfortunately prone to unexpected rock fall, so don’t linger to long around here, and keep on steadily moving
The rock face at the beginning of the ascent is pretty steep, but still manageable
Don’t look back in anger 😋
My train ticket
GPX track

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.